Modernism Week is a 9-day homage to the ideals of midcentury modern design, architecture and culture. This design aesthetic, originated in the early 1950s and 60s, was typified by clean, simple lines and celebrated elegant informality which came
to define desert modernism.
The annual event includes a wide variety of public events beginning with the two-day Modernism Show (February 13 and 14) at the Palm Springs Convention Center, preceded by a public Preview Cocktail Reception and Auction on Friday, February 12th.
Some of the week’s highlights include:
• A special tribute to renowned modernist architect Albert Frey
• An exclusive movie star home tour in and around Palm Springs
• A Mod fashion show featuring vintage fashions
• An architecture film festival
• A silent auction during the Modernism Show featuring fabulous (sic) items
Also scheduled for the 2010 edition are a vintage car show, the annual architecture symposium and a lecture series to be held in various venues throughout the City of Palm Springs. In view of the current mainstream enthusiasm for the American dramatic television series, Mad Men (broadcast on AMC), ticket sales for some events, notably the movie star architecture tours, are brisk.
Modernism Week Website
Please click here for the Culturekiosque feature "Glam Slam, Luxe Redux: Current Trends in Interior Design" by C. Davis Remignanti.